Online Sivananda Yoga Teachers' Training Course
4 WEEKS - 6 DAYS PER WEEK + 9 DAY IMMERSION AT THE ASHRAM
July 6- August 2, 2021
Sign Up For Free Info Session on May 2
Get More Information:
Join free TTC info session on June 25 at 1pm ET
Watch a recording of a TTC information session
Schedule a one-on-one meeting with one of the course teachers and ask any questions you have
52 years of teaching experience - 50,000+ graduates
The Teacher Training Course (TTC) has always been a profound experience for our graduates. With our new online 200-hour Yoga Alliance accredited training, you can immerse yourself in the ancient teachings of yoga, yogic lifestyle, meditation, pranayama and positive thinking. Develop connections with other like-minded practitioners as you experience shifts in your daily life. You will emerge from this training feeling encouragement and support, and with lifetime connections to the ashram, an ancient lineage, and your fellow students. Share the joy of yoga with others, inspire your students, and provide space for growth in their practice.
This isn’t just another online course. This is a yogic immersion that will fill your heart and shift your outlook on life. During this training, we encourage you to live a calming yogic lifestyle and minimize stimulating worldly activities. We invite you to create a dedicated practice space within your home where you can feel relaxed and at peace. You’ll attend live classes on Zoom and receive daily personal coaching from your mentor.
Graduates of the yoga teacher training course will receive internationally recognized certification to teach yoga online and in-person with verbal adjustments. The Online TTC is certified by the worldwide Yoga Alliance for the 200 hours standard for Registered Yoga Schools (RYS).
Online TTC graduates are highly encouraged to continue their yoga studies in a 9-day yogic immersion at the Ashram once we reopen to receive the full Yoga teacher certification that includes in-person instruction with physical adjustments.
Want more information? Have questions?
Course Tuition: $1500
Learn more about the online TTC experience
The Online Experience
Taking the Sivananda Yoga Teacher Training Course (TTC) online will be different than the experience of living at the ashram for the course. Throughout the last year we have discovered that there is real power and authenticity in online teaching and the benefits and beauty can be maintained.
Benefits of Taking TTC Online:
(Times are listed in Eastern Time Zone)
8:30 – 10:00 am: Asana and Pranayama Practice Class
10:15 – 11:15 am: Class on Bhagavad Gita, Meditation Techniques, Mantra Chanting, or Nutrition and Lifestyle at Home
11:15 – 12:00 pm: Break
12:00 – 1:30 pm: Main Lecture (Yoga Philosophy, Yoga Psychology, Anatomy and Physiology)
1:45 – 3:30 pm: How to Teach Asana and Pranayama Class
*Daily 30 minutes of mentor session between 4-5pm
*One daily satsang (meditation, chanting, and talk) at 6am or 8pm
*Monday is a day off
As part of the course curriculum you will receive personal coaching so you can:
- Ask questions and receive individual optimization of your personal practice of asana, pranayama, meditation, and mantra
- Ask questions about the course material
- Get personal support and counseling
Our team of counselors is also available to give additional one-on-one support with the course material.
Daily Schedule in Different Time Zones:
5:30 – 7:00 am: Asana and Pranayama Practice Class
7:15 – 8:15 am: Class on Bhagavad Gita, Meditation Techniques, Mantra Chanting, or Nutrition and Lifestyle at Home
8:15 – 9:00 am: Break
9:00 – 10:30 am: Main Lecture (Yoga Philosophy, Yoga Psychology, Anatomy and Physiology)
10:45 am – 12:30 pm: How to Teach Asana and Pranayama Class
2:30 – 4:00 pm: Asana and Pranayama Practice Class
4:15 – 5:15 pm: Class on Bhagavad Gita, Meditation Techniques, Mantra Chanting, or Nutrition and Lifestyle at Home
5:15 – 6:00 pm: Break
6:00 – 7:30 pm: Main Lecture (Yoga Philosophy, Yoga Psychology, Anatomy and Physiology)
7:45 – 9:30 pm: How to Teach Asana and Pranayama Class
3:30 – 5:00 pm: Asana and Pranayama Practice Class
5:15 – 6:15 pm: Class on Bhagavad Gita, Meditation Techniques, Mantra Chanting, or Nutrition and Lifestyle at Home
6:15 – 7:00 pm: Break
7:00 – 8:30 pm: Main Lecture (Yoga Philosophy, Yoga Psychology, Anatomy and Physiology)
8:45 – 10:30 pm: How to Teach Asana and Pranayama Class
Participation in one Satsang (meditation, chanting, lecure) daily is expected. Satsangs are availible at 6am and 8pm ET. One day per week is free. It is expected to attend one Satsang on the day off.
Learn More About the 9-Day Onsite Immersion
There are no pre-requisites to take this course. Yoga is for everyone.
What Our Students Have to Say About TTC
Curious? Want more information?
Contact us here:
Telephone: 1-866-559-5167 option 3 from North America
Telephone: 1-416-479-0199 option 3 from outside North America
Or send us a message and one of our TTC advisors will be in touch with you soon.
- 4-week theoretical and practical training in all aspects of Yoga, consisting of 267 teaching units of 45 minutes each
- Internationally recognized certificate from the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centers (ISYVC) upon successful completion of the course. The title of the diploma is ‘Online Sivananda Yoga Teachers’ Training Course’. The course is recognized by the Yoga Alliance (based in the USA) for the 200-hour training standard as RYS (Registered Yoga School).
- This course was founded by Swami Vishnudevananda in 1969 and is the first Yoga Teachers’ Training Course for students from the West with over 48,000 graduates since then.
- Prerequisite for participation is the sincere desire to learn and to open up to the techniques of yoga. It is of advantage to become acquainted with the basic exercises of yoga and the principles of yoga philosophy even before the training, but it is not absolutely necessary. In the online training you will learn to teach yoga postures, breathing exercises and relaxation practice for beginners and intermediate levels, as well as to improve your personal yoga practice.
- In 1969 Swami Vishnudevananda developed a yoga teachers‘ training as the first Indian Yogi to offer such a course West. It is part of a universal vision of peace: The more people experience peace within, the more this peace will manifest in outward action. In this way, a glow of peace envelops the world.
- Today the yoga teachers’ training courses are under the supervision of senior instructors who were personally trained by Swami Vishnudevananda. The goal of this training program is to produce qualified and inspired yoga teachers who are able to draw on their own practice and personal discipline in imparting the yoga experience to others.
- Method of online conferencing chosen: We have chosen zoom teleconferencing software that is easy to manage with the possibility of chat and group work. We can help you to get access. We have been working with this software satisfactorily for the past 6 months for all our satsangs online and online courses.
The curriculum is based on the five points of yoga, which can be understood as the practical application of the four traditional yoga paths:
Proper exercise (Asanas)
Proper breathing (Pranayama)
Proper relaxation (Savasana)
Proper diet (Sattvic & vegetarian)
Positive thinking and meditation (Vedanta and Dhyana)
These points are applied daily in the structure of the course: one meditation session, one yoga class, one workshop on online teaching techniques, two lectures, and a mentoring session. One day each week is lecture-free.
Required texts include:
The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga by Swami Vishnudevananda, Three Rivers Press
Bhagavad Gita with a commentary by Swami Sivananda, The Divine Life Trust Society
Both can be purchased from Amazon.com
Students will receive a PDF watermarked copy of the course manual. We will not be distributing physical copies.
The course will be taught in English.
Optional Onsite Immersion Module
When the ashram reopens we will offer an optional 9-day TTC module onsite to complement the online TTC. During this immersion you will learn hands-on asana corrections, the headstand, and advanced pranayama. After completing this module you will receive the complete Sivananda Yoga Teachers Training Course Certificate with 401 teaching units.
The additional module is not part of the Online course and can be booked separately at a later date.
Once the travel restrictions of the pandemic are over and we are able to teach onsite TTCs again, you have 12 months to complete the 9-day onsite immersion module in order to obtain the complete Sivananda Yoga Teachers’s Training Certificate.
The daily in-depth practice with individual corrections comprises:
- Sun salutation
- 12 basic yoga postures
- 100 asana variations, from intermediate level to advanced
- Postural alignment
- Deep relaxation with autosuggestion
- Release of blocked energy
Benefits of asanas on the body:
- Control emotions
- Improve power of concentration
- Rid the body of excess fat
- Enhance physical fitness
- Relieve chronic ailments such as constipation, rheumatism, stomach complaints
- Stimulate circulation
- Stabilise thyroid functions
- Keep muscles youthful and supple into old age
Pranayama, the science of prana control, consists of breathing exercises to enhance the health of body and mind. In summary pranayama will give you the following benefits:
Food is responsible for building our physical body. The foods we eat and the manner we eat, also affect our mind, senses, energy, capacity of thinking, intellect, and environment.
Course topics include:
• Proper Diet
Meditation is an integral part for the practice of Yoga. During this course you will learn:
- the practical steps of meditation,
- what meditation is
- what meditation is not.
- techniques of concentration and positive thinking
- In addition, you will learn techniques of Self-Inquiry for Self-Knowledge. Meditation is a spiritual journey to the realisation of oneness
During the course there will be a focus on:
- japa meditation, or mantra repetition.
- We will learn how a sanskrit mantra is a mystical energy encased in a sound structure
- Furthermore through repetition we will create a positive thought pattern
- The 6 classical cleansing exercises for the eyes, nose, respiratory tract, esophagus and stomach, abdominal organs and large intestine: Explanation of the exercises and their effects. Practice of Tratak, Neti, Kapalabhati and Nauli
This study helps you to improve the understanding of your body during your own yoga practice, and to apply it in your teaching practice. You will learn:
- Yoga philosophy will give you insights into our mistaken beliefs of who we are and what reality really is.
- A deeper understanding of yourself will help you to detach and release stress which will bring your mind and body in harmony with your life purpose.
- You will learn about karma and will understand the causes of your obstacles and challenges.
- The philosophy classes are considered the main teaching and will benefit you for a long time as the seeds of knowledge are being transmitted.
- The study of classical yoga texts such as the Bhagavad Gita and the writings of our own yoga masters will also take place to enrich you.
Kirtan is singing of the Sanskrit sacred mantras which are considered pure vibrations of the divine names. Kirtan helps with development of devotion, love and faith.