November 9, 2023 – January 25, 2024
Who Am I?
Dive Deep into Vedanta with Tattvabodha
with Rukmini Chaitanya
12 WEEKLY SESSIONS, Thursdays, 3:00 – 4:30 pm ET
“Brahman is Real. The universe is Unreal (an illusion; an appearance). The individual soul is, in essence, Brahman.”
– Adi Shankaracarya
If you have ever wondered … What is the nature of reality? Who am I? Why am I here? How do I live my best life? … then this course is for you.
Tattvaboddha (“Knowledge of Truth”), written by Adi Shankaracharya, the father of Advaita Vedanta, is a fundamental introductory text in Vedanta, one of the 6 Hindu philosophies. The ancient Vedanta texts explore the nature of reality, the Self (Atman) and ultimate reality or cosmic consciousness (Brahman). Tattvabodha is an essential foundation for you as the student to gain an understanding of the deeper teachings of Vedanta, in particular the idea of non-dualism between the individual soul and ultimate reality. It is an excellent introduction to spiritual seekers and philosophers interested in uncovering the truth about themselves, consciousness, and reality and ultimately achieving liberation.
‘The purpose of Tattvabodha is Liberation.’
More essential facts about Tattvabodha:
- It uses clear language to deal with the complex concepts of the nature of the Self (Atman) and its relationship to the ultimate reality (Brahman).
- It describes the qualifications to be a student of Vedanta, outlining the need-to-know concepts and terminology found in all texts of Vedanta.
- It is composed for the student who is keen to understand or remind themselves of the technical terms before undertaking the study of the Vedas and is delivered in the form of a dialogue between a teacher and student in a succinct Question and Answer format.
- It is a concise text but it contains most, if not all, of the fundamental concepts of Vedanta which makes it extremely rich with information.
The Tattvabodha is an introductory text outlining the fundamentals of Vedanta. It uses simple language to deal with the Knowledge (or Reality), the Individual and the World and the relationship between the 3. It also describes the qualifications of a student of Vedanta, outlining the need-to-know concepts and terminology found in all texts of Vedanta. It is composed for the new student who has to understand the technical terms before undertaking the study of actual textbooks and is delivered in the form of a dialogue between a teacher and student in a brief Question and Answer format.
Given the quality and importance of the text, it is best studied with an experienced teacher who is both learned in the scriptures and their practical life application. Rukmini Chaitanya is one such teacher.
About Rukmini Chaitanya: Rukmini’s dedication to Vedanta is reflected in the decades spent studying with Swami Swaroopananda, the Spiritual Director of the Ashram, and in her many years spent applying Vedanta to her own life through her service at the Ashram and in her own spiritual practic.
Key concepts you will learn during the course programme...
What You Will Gain by Joining this Class…
- Offered as 12 weekly sessions on Thursdays from 3:00 to 4:30 pm ET on the following dates: Nov 9, 16, 23, 30; Dec 7, 14, 21, 28; January 4,11, 18, & 25th.
- This program is offered live through Zoom webinar with the availability for students to interact through Q&A with the presenter.
- For enrolled students, a video recording will be available after each class in the event you miss a class or would like to review the content.
- It is possible to register and take the course at any time. You can catch up on any classes you miss with the recordings.
Requirements and Recommendations:
Rukmini Chaitanya is a senior staff member of the Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat Bahamas, and the personal assistant to Swami Swaroopananda, the Acharya, or spiritual director of the Ashram. She regularly teaches the Bhagavad Gita during the Sivananda Yoga Teacher training as well as other courses on the Bhagavad Gita, Vedanta, positive thinking, meditation, and yoga philosophy.
Rukmini Chaitanya is known for her enthusiastic and inspiring teaching style as well as for her devotion to the lineage and the scriptures. She is dedicated to each of her students and has an innate desire to share knowledge with them. She brings a great deal of clarity to every topic and is highly appreciated for her capacity to unfold complicated topics and present them in a coherent and pure way.