August 15 – October 31, 2023
Patanjali Yoga Sutras: Practical Guide - The Practice of Kriya Yoga
12 WEEKLY SESSIONS, Tuesdays, 6:00-7:45pm ET
Learn timeless teachings and valuable practices from the most important text for the yogis, the Patanjali Yoga Sutras. Swami Brahmananda will offer an in-depth study and practice of Kriya Yoga presented in the second chapter (Sadhana Pada) of the Yoga Sutras.
Join this inspiring course and learn about the foundations of Yoga philosophy and practice. The course focuses on Kriya Yoga, comprising Swadhyaya (self-study), Tapas (Yogic discipline) and Ishvara Pranidhana (devotion and surrender to God) which alleviates the mental afflictions and helps to attain deep meditation or Samadhi.
Raja Yoga, the royal path of mind control, is the most comprehensive and scientific approach to God-Realization. The precepts and doctrines of this ancient science were first compiled and explained by Patanjali Maharishi, the greatest psychologist of all time. Never has the human mind been so completely analyzed. Never has the process of eliminating human suffering been so succinctly presented. The methods of Raja Yoga are profound and timeless. They are the most useful techniques available to modern man beset by the tremendous stresses and strains of our competitive society.
Students will have the opportunity to get personal guidance from Swami Brahmananda on their studies.
This course is meant for new as well as experienced students and Yoga practitioners
What You’ll Learn:
- The practices of Kriya Yoga. Each course session includes a practice session, including guidelines for developing a home practice routine.
- The foundations of the Patanjali Yoga Sutras: what is Yoga, the five kleshas or mental afflictions, the eight limbs of Yoga.
- Kriya Yoga:
Swadhyaya – study of Yogic scriptures, teachings of enlightened masters, repetition of mantras (Japa) and self-inquiry (Atma Vichara of who am I). We will learn about the types of Yoga and Vedanta scriptures, devotional scriptures, etc and how does one engage in their study.
Tapas – creating a regular Yogic practice daily routine, using the spiritual diary and developing perseverance and overcoming of challenges on the spiritual path.
Ishvara pranidhana – cultivating the recognition of the Divine in creation, cultivating devotion to God, offering our actions and their results to the Lord. Learn valuable devotional practices.
- Meditation with the mantra OM – Patanjali Maharishi explains that meditation on OM with meaning removes the obstacles to Samadhi and develops enlightened introspection. We will be devoting time to meditate with the mantra OM.
- Yoga Psychology – the Patanjali Yoga Sutras is the most complete teaching on Yoga psychology.
- The five Kleshas – the five roots of human suffering, viz. avidya – ignorance, asmita – egoism, raga – attraction, dvesha – aversion, abhinivesha – fear of death, their definitions and the means of alleviating them.
- Practice and non-attachment (abhyasa and vairagya) – how to cultivate self discipline and regularity in the practice of spiritual disciplines and practical ways to cultivate non-attachment.
- Ashtanga Yoga – the Yoga of eight limbs – the means to alleviate the mental afflictions and attain Samadhi:
Yama (restraints), Niyama (observances) and their attainments (siddhis), Asana (postures), Pranayama (regulation of breath), Pratyahara (withdrawal of the senses), Dharana (concentration), Dhyana (meditation), Samadhi (superconscious state
Offered as 12 weekly sessions on Tuesdays, Aug 15, 22, 29, Sept 5, 12, 19, 26, Oct 3, 10, 17, 24 and 31st from 6:00-7:45pm ET.
This program is offered live through Zoom webinar with the availability for students to interact through Q&A with the presenter.
For enrolled students, a video recording will be available after each class in the event you miss a class or would like to review the content.
It is possible to register and take the course at any time. You can catch up on any classes you miss with the recordings.
Requirements and Recommendations:
Swami Brahmananda is a monk and senior teacher of the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centers and is the current Manager of the Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat in the Bahamas. Swami Brahmananda joined the Sivananda organization in 1999 and was initiated into Sannyasa (monasticism) in 2006.
A long-time practitioner of yoga, meditation and philosophical studies, he regularly teaches meditation and yoga philosophy for the Sivananda Yoga Teachers’ Training Courses as well as the Advanced Yoga Teachers’ Training Courses. He also teaches online courses on the Patanjali Yoga Sutras and Vedanta. Swami Brahmananda is a much-loved, inspiring, and knowledgeable teacher.