December 12, 2023 – February 27, 2024
Patanjali Yoga Sutras: Practical Guide - Cultivate Non-Attachment, Clear Vision and Deep Meditation
12 WEEKLY SESSIONS, Tuesdays, 6:00-7:45pm ET
Learn timeless teachings and valuable practices from the most important text for the yogis, the Patanjali Yoga Sutras. Swami Brahmananda will offer an in-depth study and practice on cultivating non-attachment and clear vision, by which the meditative state becomes deep and well established.
Join this inspiring course and learn about the foundations of Yoga philosophy and practice. The course focuses on deep study of the nature of the mind, how to cultivate freedom from emotional limiting attachments , develop mental clarity, the power of discriminative wisdom and deep meditation.
Raja Yoga, the royal path of mind control, is the most comprehensive and scientific approach to God-Realization. The precepts and doctrines of this ancient science were first compiled and explained by Patanjali Maharishi, the greatest psychologist of all time. Never has the human mind been so completely analyzed. Never has the process of eliminating human suffering been so succinctly presented. The methods of Raja Yoga are profound and timeless. They are the most useful techniques available to modern man beset by the tremendous stresses and strains of our competitive society.
This course is meant for new as well as experienced students and Yoga practitioners
What You’ll Learn:
- Learn the systematic practice of cultivating non-attachment using a non-attachment diary, following the four stages of how non-attachment or Vairagya is developed.
- How to develop overcome emotional addictions and attachments.
- Learn what makes our meditation practice effective and successful.
- You will learn tools to strengthen your mental clarity, concentration and meditation based on the most important Yogic scripture – the Patanjali Yoga Sutras.
- The Self is ever free and full of bliss. When consciousness reflects in the mind as the ego, it appears to feel pleasure and pain or the pairs of opposites, the cause for bondage and misery.
- Meditation with the mantra OM – Patanjali Maharishi explains that meditation on OM with meaning removes the obstacles to Samadhi and develops enlightened introspection. We will be devoting time to meditate with the mantra OM.
- Yoga Psychology – the Patanjali Yoga Sutras is the most complete teaching on Yoga psychology.
- The five Kleshas – the five roots of human suffering, viz. avidya – ignorance, asmita – egoism, raga – attraction, dvesha – aversion, abhinivesha – fear of death, their definitions and the means of alleviating them.
Offered as 12 weekly sessions on Tuesdays, Dec 12, 19, 26, Jan 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Feb 6, 13, 20 & 27 from 6:00-7:45pm ET.
This program is offered live through Zoom webinar with the availability for students to interact through Q&A with the presenter.
For enrolled students, a video recording will be available after each class in the event you miss a class or would like to review the content.
It is possible to register and take the course at any time. You can catch up on any classes you miss with the recordings.
Requirements and Recommendations:
Swami Brahmananda is a monk and senior teacher of the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centers and is the current Manager of the Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat in the Bahamas. Swami Brahmananda joined the Sivananda organization in 1999 and was initiated into Sannyasa (monasticism) in 2006.
A long-time practitioner of yoga, meditation and philosophical studies, he regularly teaches meditation and yoga philosophy for the Sivananda Yoga Teachers’ Training Courses as well as the Advanced Yoga Teachers’ Training Courses. He also teaches online courses on the Patanjali Yoga Sutras and Vedanta. Swami Brahmananda is a much-loved, inspiring, and knowledgeable teacher.