May 2 – August 1st, 2023
Patanjali Yoga Sutras: Sadhana Pada Teachings from the second chapter on Sadhana or Practice
12 WEEKLY SESSIONS, Tuesdays, 6:00-7:45pm ET
Learn timeless teachings from the most important text for the yogis, the Patanjali Yoga Sutras. Swami Brahmananda will offer an in-depth study of the second chapter or Sadhana Pada on the topic of Sadhana or Practice.
Join this inspiring course and learn about Yoga as the union of the individual and the Supreme Self brought about by the stilling of the mental waves or Chitta Vrittis, the five Kleshas or roots of human suffering, Kriya Yoga, Karma and the evolution of the mind, Ashtanga Yoga or the Eight Limbs of Yoga by which one attains Samadhi or the superconscious state.
Raja Yoga, the royal path of mind control, is the most comprehensive and scientific approach to God-Realization. The precepts and doctrines of this ancient science were first compiled and explained by Patanjali Maharishi, the greatest psychologist of all time. Never has the human mind been so completely analyzed. Never has the process of eliminating human suffering been so succinctly presented. The methods of Raja Yoga are profound and timeless. They are the most useful techniques available to modern man beset by the tremendous stresses and strains of our competitive society.
Students will have the opportunity to get personal guidance from Swami Brahmananda on their studies.
What You’ll Learn:
- An in depth study of the Sadhana Pada, the second chapter or Sadhana Pada on the topic of Sadhana or Practice. All the Sutras or verses of the chapter will be covered and explained with traditional commentaries and insights.
- Meditation with the mantra OM – Patanjali Maharishi explains that meditation on OM with meaning removes the obstacles to Samadhi and develops enlightened introspection. We will be devoting time to meditate with the mantra OM.
- Yoga Philosophy – gain a thorough understanding of the teachings of the Patanjali Yoga Sutras by which we attain clear understanding of the nature of the mind and its being different from pure consciousness, freedom from binding emotions, attachments and addictions.
- Yoga Psychology – the Patanjali Yoga Sutras is the most complete teaching on Yoga psychology.
- The process of Yoga – the stilling of the thought waves in the mind lake or Chitta, by which one attains abidance in pure consciousness.
- Kriya Yoga – the practices of Kriya Yoga by which the mental afflictions are alleviated and one attains Samadhi or superconsciousness.
- The five Kleshas – the five roots of human suffering, viz. avidya – ignorance, asmita – egoism, raga – attraction, dvesha – aversion, abhinivesha – fear of death, their definitions and the means of alleviating them.
- Practice and non-attachment (abhyasa and vairagya) – how to cultivate self discipline and regularity in the practice of spiritual disciplines and practical ways to cultivate non-attachment.
- Karma and its workings – Patanjali Maharishi gives a detailed analysis of the operations of karma, the cause of karma, its relation to suffering and how karma manifests in the life of the individual.
- The evolution of the soul – the process of the evolution of the soul, the purposes of evolution and its culmination in spiritual liberation.
- Ashtanga Yoga – the Yoga of eight limbs – the means to alleviate the mental afflictions and attain Samadhi:
Yama (restraints), Niyama (observances) and their attainments (siddhis), Asana (postures), Pranayama (regulation of breath), Pratyahara (withdrawal of the senses), Dharana (concentration), Dhyana (meditation), Samadhi (superconscious state)
Offered as 12 weekly sessions on Tuesdays, May 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, Jun 6, 13, 20, 27, July 4, 11, and 18th from 6:00-7:45pm ET.
This program is offered live through Zoom webinar with the availability for students to interact through Q&A with the presenter.
For enrolled students, a video recording will be available after each class in the event you miss a class or would like to review the content.
It is possible to register and take the course at any time. You can catch up on any classes you miss with the recordings.
Requirements and Recommendations:
Swami Brahmananda is a monk and senior teacher of the Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centers and is the current Manager of the Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat in the Bahamas. Swami Brahmananda joined the Sivananda organization in 1999 and was initiated into Sannyasa (monasticism) in 2006.
A long-time practitioner of yoga, meditation and philosophical studies, he regularly teaches meditation and yoga philosophy for the Sivananda Yoga Teachers’ Training Courses as well as the Advanced Yoga Teachers’ Training Courses. He also teaches online courses on the Patanjali Yoga Sutras and Vedanta. Swami Brahmananda is a much-loved, inspiring, and knowledgeable teacher.